bzr push after bzr branch

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Mon Jan 18 10:03:13 GMT 2010

> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:01:12 +1000
> From: Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com>
> Cc: bazaar at lists.canonical.com
>
> * Merging from a local feature branch into your local trunk.
>   Unlike push, merge will not screw up the mainline history of the
>   branch being pushed to.

One of the main problems with Bazaar documentation is that it almost
never talks about the effect commands have on the branch history
(except when a command explicitly operates on history alone).  For
example, the above detail about the differences between merge and push
is not explained anywhere, unless I'm missing something.  Instead, the
docs talk about the effect on the working tree, which makes the
differences between these commands hard to grasp, especially for
someone who does not come with background in dVCS.

I wonder if future releases could spell out the effect of popular
commands on the history.

TIA