bzr push after bzr branch

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Mon Jan 18 08:01:12 GMT 2010

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> I understand the argument that for code branches, the push location is usually
> different than the pull location, but at least these days, those kind of
> branches are the minority of what I'm working with.  Since I've now mostly
> converted all my old homedir and system /etc files from Subversion to Bazaar,
> I find myself branching them quite often.  In those cases, the push location
> is exactly the parent.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of pushing to the parent location as, imo, that's
not the bzr way. Instead, I'd suggest either:

* Using a bound branch so commits implicitly go to both locations.
  That's idea for the local mirror (e.g. trunk) of a remote branch.

* Merging from a local feature branch into your local trunk.
  Unlike push, merge will not screw up the mainline history of the
  branch being pushed to.

I typically combine these, i.e. my trunk is nearly always a bound
branch, I branch from it to create feature branches and I merge those
back into the trunk.

Ian C.