Extensible initialisation

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Jan 14 00:51:28 GMT 2010

2010/1/14 Michael Gliwinski <Michael.Gliwinski at henderson-group.com>:
> On Tuesday 12 January 2010 13:34:25 Alexander Belchenko wrote:

>> > A new user of Bazaar is not going to know what to do with that many
>> > options.
>>
>> I agree.

I think this is a step forward from making people create the
repository etc directly, but perhaps could go further towards mapping
these objects to the user's goals or requirements.

I don't even know what 'branch in trunk' would be.

Doing it based on goals or requirements might be something like this:

 * do you want to start a totally new project, or work on an existing one
 if new:
   * register a project on a hosting site?
   * make a repository directory for it?
   * make a trunk branch?
   * push that?
   * then continue on to
 an existing project:
   * do you want a copy of a remote branch, or to make your own new branch
   * store history locally (default) or remotely?
   * keep your branch in sync with a remote branch?
   * a working tree (default) or not?

I don't mean to slavishly map that into a wizard or series of
questions (though you could do worse) but I think it's the kind of
decisions the user needs to make, and they should feel confident
they've made the right actions in the program.

For looms, scmproj, etc I think this is maybe more of something you do
on top of an existing branch than something you choose when starting a
project.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>