Feedback from evaluation in a corporate environment

Philippe Lhoste PhiLho at GMX.net
Tue Jan 12 14:35:52 GMT 2010

On 12/01/2010 07:21, Algis Kabaila wrote:
>> Sometimes more choices is simply bad.
>>
>> Paul.
>
> Too many choices is always a bad option!

I have to disagree here.
It reminds me an author which wrote Windows design was bad because there were half a dozen
of ways to close a window vs. only one (or two?) on Macs (before OS X).
Sometime I just click on the X, sometime I use Alt+F4, sometime Ctrl+Q or Ctrl+W or even
Esc if app allows it, sometime I right-click on the icon in the task bar and choose Close,
sometime I even goes to the File menu and choose Exit (rarely!). And sometime I use the
task manager for that!
Now, I am quite experimented with this OS, I feel all this information can be overwhelming
for a newcomer.

Bazaar is a bit similar: it is nice to allows so much different workflows. But when you
come here, you are confused, because you are not sure what you want to do.

So too many choices isn't a bad option. It is more a matter of documentation: perhaps the
newcomers should be presented a reduced set of options, the most common ones, with hints
there is more. Something that irritate me in MS Office (reduced menus), but then again, I
am no longer a newbie... :)

Another possibility would be a wizard. Some GUI presenting some options, asking the user
want they want to do: work on an existing source code dir, with or without secondary
branches. Working on a central repository with commit access. Hacking an existing open
source code without commit access to it. And so on. On next screens, the wizard would
refine the questions to narrow down the kind of workflow the user would need. And at the
end, would present a tutorial on the best way to do this workflow.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France