Feedback from evaluation in a corporate environment

Michael Gliwinski Michael.Gliwinski at henderson-group.com
Mon Jan 11 15:57:43 GMT 2010

On Monday 11 January 2010 05:16:50 Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> The Initialize dialog just wraps a hidden command - init-ala-explorer. I
> could easily rename that to "init-workspace" [#] (say) and flick the
> switch to make it non-hidden. Anyone with Explorer installed (that's
> everyone right :-) ) could that use the more powerful command to init
> things.

How about combining init, init-repo and init-workspace into a new init which
supports different tree (workspace) organizations, e.g.

  bzr init --repo    # mostly useful for advanced cases
  bzr init --plain-branch    # ditto
  bzr init --shared-tree
  bzr init --feature-branches
  ... etc ...

with assumption that by default init='init --feature-branches' (or whichever,
maybe configurable) and that at least 'branch' would get the same options.

So basically the idea is that functionality currently provided by init and
init-repo is more a low-level bzr dir initialization, which could still be
accessed directly using appropriate options, but by default 'init' would
serve creating the workspace.

> Making cli branch check for a shared repo at the destination is probably
> trickier, given we explicitly avoid interactive commands as much as
> possible. It might still be value to extend brakch with workspace model
> options so you can say something like:
>
>   bzr branch --shared-tree source destination

+1

Others also suggested 'bzr init/create --shared/--single', but IMO it might be
better to go that one step ahead and start thinking in high-level terms of
workspace organization.

> I don't have a simple answer here, though I will say that we want this
> smarter branching for branches, bound branches and heavyweight
> checkouts. We therefore need to do something intelligent in both branch
> and checkout, unless (like Explorer) we "ditch" heavyweight checkouts
> altogether and encourage users to use bound branches instead.

+1 for that too :)  seems sensible to leave 'checkout' for checking out the
working tree and have 'branch' deal with branches.

> There's certainly plenty of room for further improvement in this area on
> multiple levels: doc, cli and GUI. Explorer needs additional refinement
> in Initialize and Branch to make these tasks both smoother and more
> powerful (e.g. Al Budden's remote feature branches idea). In fact, with
> the better working tree browser added on the weekend, that's now the
> main blocker holding me back from calling it Explorer 1.0.

One question that pops up in my mind when thinking about it is, would it be
useful to abstract the workspace organization model, so that it could be
re-used, possibly configurable, etc.?  (sorry, I haven't checked explorer's
source yet, maybe you already do that?)

> FWIW, *my* plan here is to (1) keep chipping away at making Explorer as
> nice as possible in this area and *then* (2) worry about changing the
> cli based on the lessons learned. Doing it the other way around will
> only frustrate me unnecessarily I suspect.

Thanks for "chipping away" :)  Seems to me lessons learned are already giving
effects, these are all great ideas!

--
Michael Gliwinski
Henderson Group Information Services

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee and access to the email by anyone else is unauthorised.
When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed  in the governing client engagement leter or contract.
If you have received this email in error please notify support at henderson-group.com

John Henderson (Holdings) Ltd
Registered office: 9 Hightown Avenue, Mallusk, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, BT36 4RT.
Registered in Northern Ireland
Registration Number NI010588
Vat No.: 814 6399 12