branch --bind or branch --bound?

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jan 12 07:22:07 GMT 2010

Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au> writes:

> On Monday 11 January 2010 18:59:56 Ben Finney wrote:
> > Sadly I think the English language fails us here. New users are (I
> > predict) going to expect whatever word they hear first, *especially*
> > if their first language is not English.

I should have phrased that better: “whatever word they hear first as a
descriptor for this feature” is closer to what I meant.

> Oh, come on! "--bind" means "I want to bind it". "--bound" tells me it
> probably is already bound - it is an assertion.

This discussion is about the reverse association: Based on what the user
wants to do, what will they expect the spelling of the option to be?

The decision has been made now, so I hope users will expect the option
to be spelled ‘--bind’ for creating bound branches.

> (My "first language", whatever that means, is not English

I used “first language” to mean both “the language the person learned
first as a child” and “the language the person uses primarily when
reasoning”. I think they're both common connotations of that term.

> and I am a "new user"! Thanks for taking the trouble to speak up for
> me and the likes of me.)

You're welcome.

--
 \     “I object to doing things that computers can do.” —Olin Shivers |
Ben Finney