Feedback from evaluation in a corporate environment

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Mon Jan 11 07:20:02 GMT 2010

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 16:16 +0100, David Ingamells wrote:
>> With minimum overhead "bzr checkout --lightweight" gives you a
>> snapshot
>> of the working tree. If the majority of what you want to do with your
>> working tree does not involve bzr then there is no need to worry
>> about
>> later bzr performance ;)
>
> Could you give me some numbers please?
>
> What network protocol (http/sftp/bzr*/ftp)?
All the below is done with bzr 1.17 and using bzr+ssh from a local disk
on the server, to a nfs mounted disk on the client.
It is also run before 8am on a Monday morning when the network is
effectively idle.
> What network latency to your server?
I've not measured, but it is a powerful server on the local network -
the slowest portion of the connection is 100 megabits per second.
> How many files in your tree?
> How big is a working tree for your project (bzr checkout --lightweight
> somewhere, then du -sh before doing anything else)?
> How long does 'bzr checkout --lightweight NETWORKURL /tmp/time1' take?
> How long does 'bzr branch NETWORKURL /tmp/time2' take?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Rob
time bzr checkout bzr+ssh:<path> CVT_checkout
real    1m23.968s
user    0m30.170s
sys     0m2.816s

time bzr checkout --lightweight bzr+ssh:<path> CVT_lightweight
real    0m13.622s
user    0m5.220s
sys     0m0.544s

Thus a saving of 70 seconds by using lightweight

time bzr branch bzr+ssh:<path> CVT_branch
Branched 4547 revision(s).

real    1m17.658s
user    0m30.070s
sys     0m3.672s

Size is as follows. A working tree currently has just over 1000 files.
In the past there were many more - we've now split the project into
several parts. You can see that there are 4547 revisions.

du -sH :
186M    CVT_branch
186M    CVT_checkout
24M     CVT_lightweight