Feedback from evaluation in a corporate environment

B Smith-Mannschott bsmith.occs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 20:43:17 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 19:13, Barry Warsaw <barry at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Jan 08, 2010, at 06:55 PM, Philippe Lhoste wrote:
>
>>Or 'bzr single-branch' vs. 'bzr shared-branches'?
>
> I like this.  Maybe
>
> % bzr create --single
> % bzr create --shared

As a **total newb**, who had trouble initially with the distinction
between init and init-repo, I'll offer a suggestion.

I prefer "init" to "create". "Create" seems wrong when the target is
the present working directory. I do agree that it's important
encourage the user to choose explicitly:

bzr init --single  (was bzr init)
bzr init --shared (was bzr init-repo)

But, I think there's still a place for some DWIM behavior:

plain "bzr init [DIRNAME]" should produce a usage message if the
target (DIRNAME or current directory if DIRNAME is omitted) exists and
is non-empty.

Otherwise, "bzr init [DIRNAME]" should be equivalent to:

bzr init-repo DIRNAME
bzr init DIRNAME/trunk
echo "Please begin working in DIRNAME/trunk."

(What's the conventional name for trunk/default/master/main among bzr
regulars? My use of trunk above was just a wild stab.)

// Ben