Feedback from evaluation in a corporate environment

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:49:05 GMT 2010

2010/1/8 Barry Warsaw <barry at canonical.com>:
> On Jan 08, 2010, at 06:55 PM, Philippe Lhoste wrote:
>
>>Or 'bzr single-branch' vs. 'bzr shared-branches'?
>
> I like this.  Maybe
>
> % bzr create --single
> % bzr create --shared

Hmm, that might make sense. Although "create" for putting an existing
directory under Bazaar control sounds a bit odd.

And there's still bzr branch (I know this is a different case - sorry)
which by default creates a standalone tree, so bzr branch
http://.../python creates the badly-performing case by default.

I wonder - is it not true that the real issue is the fact that the
user needs to manage the shared repository explicitly at all? After
all, shared repos are basically performance hacks[1]. Why should the
user *need* to concern himself with explicit management of them?

Paul.

[1] OK, that's a bit inflammatory. But what is the actual difference
between a shared repo and a set of standalone branches in a common
parent directory - other than improved performance and space use?