[RFC] branch --bind

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Fri Jan 8 20:24:39 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 06:32:18PM +1000 I heard the voice of
Ian Clatworthy, and lo! it spake thus:

> Having said all that, all I want to do *now* is add a single option
> to branch.

On that specific issue, I'm all in favor of making "branch --bind" (or
--bound, or some such bikeshed) the command used to create a bound
branch; it's the obviously correct place for it.

I'm unhappy with it doing what you're making it do NOW though, because
we don't HAVE bound branches; we have something that's maybe 75% bound
branch and 25% heavy checkout.  It's bad enough that we're setting up
user expectations and habits in one place that will be bent when
that's resolved, I'd as soon not start accumulating them in another
place.  Especially when the immediate impetus (adding the capability
to a GUI) is easy enough to do just by running 2 commands, or running
1 command and echo >> .bzr/branch.conf.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net