Feedback from evaluation in a corporate environment

Barry Warsaw barry at canonical.com
Fri Jan 8 15:19:34 GMT 2010

On Jan 08, 2010, at 03:50 PM, Philippe Lhoste wrote:

>I understand the irony (yes?) but I felt I should explain why a simple
>'init' is still useful.

'bzr init' is a useful command but it, and init-repo probably do not have the
best names to encourage people to use the right command at the right time.

When I'm creating a new private project, or just starting a public project,
'bzr init' is what I usually want.  However if I'm joining an established
project 'bzr init-repo' is usually what I want because I'm going to
participate in something that has a big history.

So for my own use cases something like 'bzr begin' or 'bzr create' would be a
better name than 'bzr init'.  And something like 'bzr join' or 'bzr
participate' might be better than 'bzr init-repo'.  I'm less certain about the
latter, but really "init-repo" is a terrible name for other reasons :).

I would suggest a little analysis of the common use-cases for init and
init-repo, and renaming the commands to give a clearer hint to casual users as
to which to choose for the particular task they're trying to accomplish.  Of
course keeping init and init-repo as aliases.  Alternatively, fold them both
into one command, with options such as --new or --established, e.g.

% bzr begin --new
% bzr begin --established

then, based on some analysis, choose the best default.

-Barry