Feedback from evaluation in a corporate environment

Philippe Lhoste PhiLho at GMX.net
Fri Jan 8 14:50:20 GMT 2010

On 08/01/2010 11:37, Paul Moore wrote:
> If bzr init is *not* the correct command for beginners to use, it
> should probably be removed or renamed as it's an attractive nuisance.

I understand the irony (yes?) but I felt I should explain why a simple 'init' is still useful.

Perhaps I am just a dumb user, but for most of my repositories, I use only a simple "bzr
init" command... That's nearly one year I use them, with 171 revisions in the biggest one
(so they are still of modest size).

Now, I have a rather unusual workflow (perhaps), which as described here before, and was
said as "correct"...

I remember when I first read the Bazaar documentation, I was quite confused why there was
a init-repo command while we have a init one. Perhaps it was clarified now, and after
reading again I understood better anyway.

For the record, here is my workflow:
Most of my coding is made of small experiments in various languages (no big project yet).
So I have a repository (made with 'init'!) per language... (Java, JavaFX, Processing, Lua,
Nimrod, etc.). Also one with my SciTE (text editor) settings (lexer properties and so on).
These repositories have a number of sub-folders, holding several little programs, or one
folder per small program, etc.
Basically, I don't feel the need to create derived branches, unlike the usual workflow of
DVCS: when I want to change something, I just hack the program, then commit when I made
significant changes or finished.
Of course, I am the only coder on these projects... The 'lone programmer' scenario isn't
so unusual, I think.
So if anything goes wrong, I can just revert, and continue to hack.

I suppose that on a bigger project, I would do feature branches, and so on, but here, no
such need.

I also push my branches to Launchpad (to +junk branches as they are not worth of full
fledged projects) and pull/merge from there, on two computers.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France