Feedback from evaluation in a corporate environment

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Fri Jan 8 15:16:49 GMT 2010

>>> checkout --lightweight <NETWORK URL>
>>>
>>> is a very bad idea [because it will perform poorly]. Is this actually
>>> whats desired, or what is being specified ?
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>

>> That all depends what you want to do with the checkout...
>>

> Naturally. As long as you don't want to use it at all, it will perform
> ok :).

With minimum overhead "bzr checkout --lightweight" gives you a snapshot
of the working tree. If the majority of what you want to do with your
working tree does not involve bzr then there is no need to worry about
later bzr performance ;)

The win [space + time] from the checkout is probably sufficient for a
couple of bzr actions that are not so optimal before you run into a net
debit. For me co + patch + commit (+delete whole checkout) is fast.

Furthermore my experience is that performance for various hardware and
network configurations can often defy intuitive expectations - both
positively and negatively.