[RFC] branch --bind

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Jan 7 21:17:16 GMT 2010

2010/1/8 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:
>  > We would intentionally *not* call it that.
>
> Too bad for A Budden and others whose workflows *require* the
> centralized model, but allow users the *option* of lightweight or
> heavyweight checkouts, then.  I dislike the model intensely myself
> :-), but I thought Bazaar was committed to supporting what the users
> want to use.

Those are kind of loaded words.  We need to make sure there is a good
solution, but be open to it possibly be different to the current
solution.  We don't want a zillion options each loved by a few users,
but rather to push towards having cleaner things that can be composed
to suit.

> If so, I agree with him that "checkout" has the right
> connotations to make describing his workplace's policy straightforward;
> using "checkout" only for the lightweight version and calling the
> heavyweight version something else is unnecessarily confusing IMO.

What we would probably suggest for his current state is making a local
repository with bound branches; then he can make new purely local
branches when disconnected, switch his checkout onto them, and
continue, or unbind the branch.

This can be seen as making conherency with the master a persistent
mode of the branch rather than a one-off setting for the commit.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>