[RFC] branch --bind

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Jan 7 18:14:16 GMT 2010

John Arbash Meinel writes:

 > A local checkout of a branch bound to a remote branch would be identical
 > to what we currently call a "heavyweight checkout".

No, it's not; a heavyweight checkout currently keeps its own history
in its repository (which might be shared), while the lightweight
checkout in the scheme I formalized (somebody else described it, maybe
even you?) depends entirely on its parent for history.

 > We would intentionally *not* call it that.

Too bad for A Budden and others whose workflows *require* the
centralized model, but allow users the *option* of lightweight or
heavyweight checkouts, then.  I dislike the model intensely myself
:-), but I thought Bazaar was committed to supporting what the users
want to use.  If so, I agree with him that "checkout" has the right
connotations to make describing his workplace's policy straightforward;
using "checkout" only for the lightweight version and calling the
heavyweight version something else is unnecessarily confusing IMO.