[RFC] branch --bind

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Thu Jan 7 03:30:21 GMT 2010

A. S. Budden wrote:

> That's an interesting point.  I am surprised at the distinction
> between a heavyweight checkout and a bound branch (particularly in the
> line starting "false for...").  Is there actually a difference?  If I
> do "bzr checkout" to create a heavyweight checkout and open it in
> Bazaar Explorer, it calls it a bound branch.  Is this wrong?  I've
> been working on the assumption that they're the same thing, just
> different names.

Right now, it's embarrassing messy. A heavyweight checkout and bound
branch are slightly different in that "branch + bind" sets a parent
location while "checkout" doesn't.

> Just out of curiosity, if the heavyweight checkout gets renamed as a
> "bound branch", what will Bazaar Explorer's "switch checkout" be
> renamed to?

Just "Switch" I guess. FWIW, you can "switch" a bound branch using
either the switch or bind commands. OTOH, if you have a (lightweight)
checkout pointing to a bound branch, then switch will change where the
checkout points to while bind will change the branch being bound to.

Ian C.