Make plugins more accessible...

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Tue Jan 5 09:20:46 GMT 2010

Sorry for the dupe Ian, I forgot to send it back to the list.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Ian Clatworthy
<ian.clatworthy at canonical.com> wrote:
> John Szakmeister wrote:
>> One constant irritant I have is that I always have to hunt for the
>> download page for the plugins.  Is there a way to make the link to the
>> plugins page more prominent?
>
> It's in the footer of the home page under "Extras". It's also available
> from the "Extras" page in the header of the home page. What did you have
> in mind?

For whatever reason, I always have the word "plugin" in my head.  So
what ends up happening is that I go to the download page, stare for a
minute scanning for plugin, and then finally get to reading the text
and figuring out "Extras" is what I want.  I never realize that the
links in the header or footer can get me there from the home page. :-(
 For whatever reason, "extras" doesn't scream "plugins" to me, so I
skip right over it every time.

If I could have a larger link that said plugins, it would help me
immensely (several folks at work have mentioned it to me as well).

> FWIW, I'd like to make the Plugins Guide
> (http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/plugins/en/) more and more useful and rework
> the plugins registry (http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/BzrPlugins) to be
> just an index into that, rather than separately maintained. I'd also
> like to extend qplugins to make it easier to install plugins directly
> from there, using the metadata under the Plugins Guide. One day ...

I hear ya... never enough time. :-)

-John