moving to bazaar.canonical.com

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Dec 9 06:37:30 GMT 2009

After some discussion both here and elsewhere, we're going to move
bazaar-vcs.org to bazaar.canonical.com.

The really decisive factor for me is that Canonical feels that having more of
the projects we sponsor under canonical.com will help the company.  Given how
much Canonical helps Bazaar, I think it's a good thing to do to help them in
return.

This has been kicked around for a long time (including
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2009q4/thread.html#63183>), and I'm
very aware that people have real and reasonable concerns.  But having
considered all angles, I just want to do it now.  There are upsides to
corporate support too, though, for Bazaar as well as Canonical.

This isn't a precursor to closing the licence, the development process or
anything else ulterior.  On the contrary, we've been trying some things to open
up more, including posting more about Canonical internal conversations, working
hard on helping non-Canonical people get their patches into Bazaar, and growing
channels for participation in docs or translation.

I've spoken to our sysadmins to plan the switchover, and they will do it in the
next week or so.  We are going to clean up various internal aspects of the web
site at the same time, including splitting the wiki from the main web site so
that we can continue with Emma Jane's work on a proper product site.  The
existing domains will redirect once the new ones are ready.

There may be some small bumps while this changeover occurs, but if you notice
any lasting problems please tell us here or on irc.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>