How to use shelf1?

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Thu Dec 3 18:14:08 GMT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 12:07:31PM -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> Forest Bond wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 11:39:50AM -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> >> shelve1 existed for a while because there was a locking bug in shelve
> >> (v2) that kept it from working on Windows. That has since been fixed. At
> >> this point, the only thing shelve1 provides is that you can
> >> interactively unshelve, rather than all or nothing.
> >
> > shelve1 also allows viewing a patch on the shelf without applying it (which
> > might cause conflicts).  I super duper wish shelve v2 had this feature, but it
> > is not enough to make me use shelve1.  The drawbacks (renames, adds, binary
> > files, etc.) are too much.
> >
> > -Forest
>
> Certainly it is a requested feature with an open bug in the tracker. I
> believe it is under "bzr unshelve --dry-run" only gives the summary, and
> not the actual diff.
>
> I don't think it would actually be all that hard to provide. I would
> guess that the merge preview code could be pretty easily used here.

Wish I had time to dive into bzr right now.  I wouldn't mind implementing
something like this.  Maybe next year.

> Though it also depends, do you want:
> 1) The diff as it was inserted onto the shelf
> 2) The diff as it would be applied to your working tree

1 is perfect, 2 might be nice on occasion.  I really just want some way of
answering the question "what was that change that I shelved?".  Sometimes I put
things on the shelf and then forget about them for a while.  When I realize that
they are still sitting there, I like to be reminded.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond
http://www.alittletooquiet.net