Usage discussion from the GNU Emacs project.

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri Nov 27 23:59:12 GMT 2009

Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com> writes:

>> I can not recommend bazaar to projects who are exploring alternatives
>> to CVS or Subversion if their history contain tens of thousands of
>> revisions.
>
> What hardware are you running on?

I'm using a fast machine (Intel Q6600: 2.4 GHz Quad Core 8 MB L3 cache,
8 MB RAM, Kubuntu 9.10, 64 bit mode) and a not-so-fast machine (a
netbook with the usual config: Atom 1.6 GHz, 1 MB RAM, Windows XP).

> What operations are a problem?

log, annotate.

> 100s/1000s of people work on projects of this size every day using
> Bazaar. The Bazaar code base itself has 28k revisions and it's a baby in
> comparison to other projects successful using Bazaar.

I'm not saying that Bazaar does not work with large branches. It's just
slow. Even on the fast machine a log never requires less than 6
seconds. On the netbook it always takes more than 20. annotate requires
several minutes on the netbook for files with a long history.

--
Óscar