Usage discussion from the GNU Emacs project.

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Sun Nov 29 23:55:18 GMT 2009

Óscar Fuentes wrote:

>> What operations are a problem?
>
> log, annotate.

Attached are the benchmark figures I see running bzr-usertest with bzr's
latest trunk and Emacs rev 98788. $file in this run is ChangeLog. As you
can see, many log operations are fast enough (under 2 seconds). We do
need to improve log speed on a file or directory though.

I have 2 patches for log performance I can dig up:

* one makes 'log everything' 5-10% faster by slight changes to how
  strings are built before outputting them

* one makes 'log file' show output immediately if the history
  of the file is relatively flat (vs bushy because of changing in
  lots of merges). In some cases, it makes the overall time slower
  but it has the advantage of immediately displaying something over
  waiting until it's calculated the full revision graph.

Is ChangeLog a suitable file to be using to benchmark 'bzr log $file'?

Ian C.