bzr-pipeline, installers and explorer

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 14:36:19 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 05:45:10PM +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> * loom is great for managing patches over an upstream
> * pipeline is great for breaking a large change into logical pieces.
>
> Either can be used with varying degrees of success for either task
> though. As I spend nearly all of my time developing software rather than
> packaging it, I find pipeline a better match for *my* needs.

This is an interesting analysis since I tried to use looms with an rpn
package whose patchset I was maintaining with quilt.  looms were
not at all easy to use in this scenario.

I think the problem was colocated branches.  I like bzr more than cvs, hg,
and git because branches are not colocated.  Adding looms colocation on top
of bzr either didn't work for me personally or wasn't a successful weldding
of the technology's UI onto bzr... I'm not sure which.

I'll have to try out pipelines on the same sort of thing to see if they are
easier or harder to use in this situation.

-Toshio