FYI: In-tree rules and line-endings

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Mon Nov 16 10:56:37 GMT 2009

Alexander Belchenko wrote:

> I'm not sure there is planned to re-think
> choice of DVCS tool for Python, but at least somebody interested
> (Barry?) can show this feature on next PyCon.

Like Java, I suspect that horse has bolted. OTOH, it's nice to remind
potential users that Bazaar has compelling advantages for projects in
those languages, e.g. directory renaming in Java, bzrlib for Python
projects. IIUIC, Mercurial have a policy of sticking with their current
repo format "forever". Now than 2a makes Bazaar more storage efficient,
I wonder whether they'll revise that. An updated performance comparison
of hg vs bzr would certainly be interesting.

> Yes, I know this is not the top priority now for bzr core team.

Line endings isn't our top priority but we did clear the roadblocks last
week for delivering a much better solution than our current one. We also
made numerous policy adjustments to make contributing to the core easier
and more rewarding that it has been previously.

I certainly expect to spend some discretionary time on getting this
issue addressed once and for all by 2.1. The more help I can get on this
from the community though the better. FWIW, I'm also:

* working on bzr-builder and code imports to help UDD
* driving forward ours docs
* hacking on Explorer and QBzr in my spare time
* feeling like crap every 2nd week [1]

so my time is limited despite my best intentions.

Ian C.

[1]
http://ianclatworthy.wordpress.com/2009/11/07/two-of-the-things-on-my-mind/