branch specific rules - the latest proposal

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Fri Nov 13 10:58:04 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote:
[snip]
> John, I want to say that I'm shocked and disappointed as well. But I knew
> this fact (bzr will never support versioned properties) since April 2008
> when Robert Collins rejected my naive attempt to introduce them in my
> rejected naive patch for line-endings supports. I don't want to raise this
> discussion again, sorry, it's still hurts for me. It's just good to know
> that I'm not alone in my crazy wish for them.

You're definitely not alone.

> IIUC the "rules" introduced by Ian should be used instead. We just need to
> change our minds and start using "rules". I think this is better than
> nothing, so the faster the "rules" will materialize, the better for all of
> us who need versioned properties.

Certainly.  I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  And I, for one, am
happy to see there will be a mechanism to propagate this data with the
branch.  But if versioned properties are off the table, I'd at least
like to find a way to interact with Subversion's properties so that we
could have a better story on that front.  Jelmer is probably the best
guy to speak about it, but it's one of the constant irritants that
I've run into while trying to interact against Subversion
repositories.

-John