branch specific rules - the latest proposal

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Fri Nov 13 09:51:56 GMT 2009

John Szakmeister пишет:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Ian Clatworthy
> <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com> wrote:
>> Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>>
>>> * Does .bzrmeta will be final answer on the question: "will bzr support
>>> versioned properties"?
>> We have no plans for bzr core to ever support versioned properties.
>
> That's a real shame.  I think they're a great solution to handling
> line-endings, character encoding, and keyword expansion. :-(
>
> Should these pages be removed/rejected then?
>     http://bazaar-vcs.org/VersionedProperties
>     https://launchpad.net/bzr/+spec/versioned-properties
>
> And at least these pages make mention of it:
>     http://bazaar-vcs.org/NewIgnoreRulesSpec
>     https://launchpad.net/bzr/+spec/new-ignore-rules
>
> Finally, should I update the migration docs for SVN with something
> more concrete about the state of versioned properties?  I currently
> have it worded to leave the door open for Bazaar to grow them, but I
> don't want to mislead users.  I have seen them discussed in the past,
> so it comes as a bit of a shock to hear you say that there are no
> plans to ever support them. :-(

John, I want to say that I'm shocked and disappointed as well. But I
knew this fact (bzr will never support versioned properties) since April
2008 when Robert Collins rejected my naive attempt to introduce them in
my rejected naive patch for line-endings supports. I don't want to raise
this discussion again, sorry, it's still hurts for me. It's just good to
know that I'm not alone in my crazy wish for them.

IIUC the "rules" introduced by Ian should be used instead. We just need
to change our minds and start using "rules". I think this is better than
nothing, so the faster the "rules" will materialize, the better for all
of us who need versioned properties.