Empty XMLRPC response from launchpad

Gordon Tyler gordon at doxxx.net
Wed Oct 28 15:51:59 GMT 2009

Gordon Tyler <gordon <at> doxxx.net> writes:

> Gavin Panella <gavin.panella <at> canonical.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:00:19 +0000 (UTC)
> > Gordon Tyler <gordon <at> doxxx.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying fix bug #186920 by using a modified form of Bill Bumgarner's
> > > HTTPTransport (python bug #648658) for xmlrpclib which allows it to use
> urllib2
> > > and thus an HTTP proxy, but I'm having a problem where the XMLRPC reply
from
> > > launchpad is just an empty page.
> >
> > Is this still happening? Launchpad had a brown-out last night at about
> > the time of your email, and I noticed issues pulling branches at that
> > time, with XML-RPC related error messages. Maybe it's just Launchpad
> > and not your code.
>
> I've had this problem since I started working on the bug last week. I'm going
> try running my code from an non-firewalled host to see if its the web proxy
that
> is the problem.

Running from a non-firewalled host works when the http_proxy is not set. This is
not unexpected since it's using the unaltered HTTP codepath for xmlrpclib.
However, once I install a web proxy on the same host and set http_proxy to point
to it, I get a different problem: A 302 response which redirects to the same URL
that was requested, causing the HTTP client to fail with an infinite redirect
loop error.

My guess is that the XMLRPC server at launchpad doesn't like requests coming
from web proxies.

Ciao,
Gordon