Empty XMLRPC response from launchpad

Gavin Panella gavin.panella at canonical.com
Wed Oct 28 16:31:45 GMT 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:51:59 +0000 (UTC)
Gordon Tyler <gordon at doxxx.net> wrote:

> Gordon Tyler <gordon <at> doxxx.net> writes:
>

> > Gavin Panella <gavin.panella <at> canonical.com> writes:

> > urllib2
> from
> > >
> > > Is this still happening? Launchpad had a brown-out last night at about
> > > the time of your email, and I noticed issues pulling branches at that
> > > time, with XML-RPC related error messages. Maybe it's just Launchpad
> > > and not your code.
> >
> > I've had this problem since I started working on the bug last week. I'm going
> > try running my code from an non-firewalled host to see if its the web proxy
> that
> > is the problem.
>
> Running from a non-firewalled host works when the http_proxy is not set. This is
> not unexpected since it's using the unaltered HTTP codepath for xmlrpclib.
> However, once I install a web proxy on the same host and set http_proxy to point
> to it, I get a different problem: A 302 response which redirects to the same URL
> that was requested, causing the HTTP client to fail with an infinite redirect
> loop error.

I can't promise that this will help in your case, but there is an
XML-RPC transport in Launchpad that we use to work through proxies:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/devel/annotate/head%3A/lib/lp/bugs/externalbugtracker/xmlrpc.py

It's used all the time, every day, so it works, but it might not be
suitable for you. The code says "this transport isn't fit for general
XML-RPC use", but it might be useful to help isolate the issue you've
been seeing.

Gavin.