[Merge] lp:~fullermd/bzr/revspec-dwim into lp:bzr

fullermd fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Oct 14 21:30:19 BST 2009

Background:  Branch to add DWIM capability to revision specifiers.
e.g., "-r$REVID" rather than requiring "-rrevid:$REVID".

> https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~fullermd/bzr/revspec-dwim/+merge/13164

After IRC discussion with Ian, taking this on-list for discussion.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 06:03:25AM -0000 I heard the voice of
Ian Clatworthy, and lo! it spake thus:

> 1. If something looks like a revno and isn't, I'd prefer that we
> raised an error in that case rather than continuing to look.

My feeling is that if a user enters something that looks like a revno,
but isn't, AND matches something else in the chain (a tag being far
and away the most likely), that's almost certainly what they meant so
we should follow through with it.  Ian thinks the other way; if it
looks like a revno, it should be assumed to be a revno, and a
revno-like tag is rare enough that we might as well let the user
disambiguate with tag: (or another spec in the lookup chain as called
for) if they really want it.

I think I'm right   8-}   But I'll bow to democracy with moderate
grace.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net