RFC: Home page design

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Fri Sep 11 12:34:54 BST 2009

[summary: I think we're talking about the wording of an action that
means “ways to extend Bazaar after you have it installed and working”]

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> For values of "everyone" == git and hg users (and proud of it). Yes,
> Emacs people and a few others worry about it. But I haven't heard a
> newbie bitch about bzr log in many months now; I think you're over
> that hump.

Nevertheless, I agree that “optimize” has too much baggage among one of
the primary audiences of Bazaar (programmers), and thus says the wrong
thing about out-of-the-box Bazaar.

> What *I* don't like about "optimize" is the missing "get". "Get
> Bazaar", "Get Going", "Get Help". I like that, it's got rhythm, and it
> says "we give". Good message.

Agreed, that's a positive, flexible theme that is worth a little effort
to work with.

> I don't have a good "get" phrase for this, though:

How about going back to the “extend” sense earlier:

    Get Extras
    Get More
    Get Further

Any of those, to me, makes it clear who would want to follow the link,
without any stigma on avoiding the link.

--
 \     “If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the |
  `\        mirror, because I bet that's what REALLY throws you into a |