RFC: Home page design

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Sep 10 16:26:00 BST 2009

Optimizing addressees again...

James Westby writes:

 >    Optimize
 >
 >    Everyone knows Bazaar is slow, so you have to put effort in to
 >    optimization before you can have a usable VCS...

For values of "everyone" == git and hg users (and proud of it).  Yes,
Emacs people and a few others worry about it.  But I haven't heard a
newbie bitch about bzr log in many months now; I think you're over
that hump.

What *I* don't like about "optimize" is the missing "get".  "Get
Bazaar", "Get Going", "Get Help".  I like that, it's got rhythm, and
it says "we give".  Good message.  I don't have a good "get" phrase
for this, though:

Get In Tune
Get It Together
Get Connected
Get ??

so maybe "Get Going" is as good as it gets.

BTW, I think this layout has it, maybe a couple of tweaks.  I agree
about the "top hat" look in a wide window, I'd rather the background
continued to the sides on the main area.  And I'd like a little more
contrast in the footer.