Comment perhaps needs to be nicer?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Sep 4 04:49:01 BST 2009

2009/9/4 Aaron Bentley <aaron at aaronbentley.com>:

> Martin Pool wrote:
>> 2009/9/3 Russel Winder <russel.winder at concertant.com>:
>>> I just tried a commit but had not added the file so there was nothing to
>>> commit.  The result was:
>>>
>>>        aborting commit write group: PointlessCommit(No changes to
>>>        commit)
>>>        bzr: ERROR: No changes to commit. Use --unchanged to commit
>>>        anyhow.
>>>
>>> I am not entirely convinced that this is a good error message to emit in
>>> this situation.
>>
>> 1- showing the 'aborting write group' is a bit ugly but perhaps useful
>
> I think it's not something we should be showing.  It makes aborts due to
> empty commits, failed strictness checks and others look far worse than
> they are, and exposes our internals.  I would be fine with showing it
> when -Derror is used, but I don't think we should show it by default.

I'd be ok with just muttering it - in that case we could also log the traceback.

I have a more general background task to systematize handling of
errors in cleanup code: I think normally it is just going to give a
worse message, though it is important for correctness and testing that
we don't lose them entirely.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>