Comment perhaps needs to be nicer?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Sep 4 01:41:56 BST 2009

2009/9/3 Russel Winder <russel.winder at concertant.com>:
> I just tried a commit but had not added the file so there was nothing to
> commit.  The result was:
>
>        aborting commit write group: PointlessCommit(No changes to
>        commit)
>        bzr: ERROR: No changes to commit. Use --unchanged to commit
>        anyhow.
>
> I am not entirely convinced that this is a good error message to emit in
> this situation.

1- showing the 'aborting write group' is a bit ugly but perhaps useful

2- it sounds like you're saying it's better to suggest adding some
files rather than using --unchanged?  Sometimes it's better not to
give suggestions at all in error messages and rather explain it in the
command help.

You're welcome to file bugs for this kind of thing: it may make them
more likely to be fixed but you get a differetn audience.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>