RFC: Home page design

Dennis Benzinger Dennis.Benzinger at gmx.net
Tue Sep 1 19:59:27 BST 2009

Am 01.09.2009 13:44, Emma Jane Hogbin schrieb:
> [...]
> 1. Utility navigation (the very top strip): do you prefer Design 1 or Design 2?

Design 2. I like to have the possibility to search on every page.
Did you consider the small contrast between the text and the background?
Is the text readable for people with low vision?

> 2. Banner carousel: necessary or not needed?

Not needed. It's not clear that the images are different front ends.
Some people may think that all images belong to one front end and that
they have to use the GUI and the command line.

> 3. Entry points: 4 panes (Design 1) or 3 panes (Design 2)?

3 panes (Design 2), but with equal width

> 4. Additional praise?

Looks much nicer that the current page.

> 5. Additional concerns?
> [...]

If you choose a design that uses JavaScript please keep the site usable
without JavaScript. Bonus points for making it usable in a text mode
browser. That would be really useful if you have to access the site from
a terminal.

Regards,
Dennis Benzinger