Case sensitivity

Talden talden at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 13:05:45 BST 2009

Here I am being a top-posting sheep...

It's important to understand (and I'm sure Alexander understands this
point) that this is not so much a bug, as a design decision.  It is
also not an unusual limitation of VCS software either (CVS,
Subversion, ...) - and AFAIK a universal limitation for any VCS
intended for platform interoperability.  It might be worth looking to
see if a bug has been filed (and hopefully noted as an enhancement) to
see what other dialogue exists on the topic.

Consider that enhancing Bazaar for this is non-trivial.  It will
complicate the interpretation of historical revisions (and I expect
commit meta-data would be needed to differentiate new revisions from
old) and face issues reverting correctly to an earlier tree.
Additionally, this enhancement would introduce a case-related
evil-twin problem for case-sensitive file-systems attempting to work
with repositories that expect case-insensitivity - at the least this
would complicate the UI.

Personally, though I'm a Windows encumbered developer (Heavy
Encumbered, half-speed), I think it would be better for these tools to
stick with case-sensitive file-system as it dramatically simplifies
implementation and only rarely do applications on case-insensitive
file-systems change the case of files without user intervention - far
better that those few applications are compelled to be fixed.

--
Talden.