Naming the Windows installer

John Arbash Meinel john at
Thu Aug 13 04:19:30 BST 2009

Martin Pool wrote:
> 2009/8/13 John Arbash Meinel <john at>:
>> Which would hint and using:
>>  bzr-1.18rc1-1.setup.exe
>> and
>>  bzr-1.18rc1-1.win32-py2.5.exe
>> That would honestly be the easiest for me to get automated, as I would
>> probably just add a variable in "" (probably an ENV var, etc)
>> that would get passed into the 'version=' information.
> To me that looks good. It does kind of imply that if you found a bug
> in the setup.exe version you'd rebuild all of them, or at least have
> one sequence across all of them that might have gaps in.  In other
> words 1.18rc1-2.setup.exe should be in sync with
> 1.18rc1-2.win32-py2.5.exe

Just to mention that so far, I don't think I've ever had to repackage
just bzr python installers. It has only been problems in bundling
plugins that required a new installer. (Of course, we've had bugs in bzr
that bumped the bzr versions :)

> It was partly codifying your practice, but also affirming it because
> it's consistent with what Debian do: there are upstream and packaging
> versions separated by a dash.
> So +1 to continue.

>> For now, I'm just going to stick with the last form, because it is
>> consistent with what I've been doing.
>> And on the plus side, installers for 1.18rc1 have finally been built.
> Great.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Cygwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -