Best way to use bzr for Ubuntu packaging?

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Aug 11 09:53:48 BST 2009

Torsten Bronger wrote:
> Hallöchen!
>
> I have prepared an Ubuntu package (of a new program), and I wonder
> how to organise my branches for package developing.  I have read
> http://jameswestby.net/bzr/builddeb/user_manual/ and
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributedDevelopment/ together with the
> Loom documentation and I find all this quite confusing ...
>
> Okay, I have a Bazaar branch with the upstream.  I can pull new
> versions into it.  Then, I have a Loom thread with the debian/
> directory, and on top of that, Loom threads of local patches, and on
> top of them, Loom threads for Hardy, Intrepid, and Jaunty.  Does
> this make sense?

Yep.

> The other possibility is to have a repo with ordinary branches for
> upstream, patches, and Ubuntu versions.  But I actually like the
> idea to "drag" changes in the upstream through all patches and
> Ubuntu versions.

I agree. Loom is too much of a step for some people currently.

> Or, one repository with three branches for Hardy etc, and in each a
> loom with upstream, patches, and debian.

I think I prefer this one, though it does seem like repeated work.
Perhaps the lower parts of the stack can be shared.

> Probably I'm equally confused as confusing ... how would you do it?

I think you are right on the money. You're basically pushing the
boundaries, so there's not really established practice yet. I'd be
interested in your experiences so that we can learn what the advantages
of the different methods are.

Thanks,

James