Best way to use bzr for Ubuntu packaging?

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Aug 3 18:05:11 BST 2009

Hallöchen!

I have prepared an Ubuntu package (of a new program), and I wonder
how to organise my branches for package developing.  I have read
http://jameswestby.net/bzr/builddeb/user_manual/ and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributedDevelopment/ together with the
Loom documentation and I find all this quite confusing ...

Okay, I have a Bazaar branch with the upstream.  I can pull new
versions into it.  Then, I have a Loom thread with the debian/
directory, and on top of that, Loom threads of local patches, and on
top of them, Loom threads for Hardy, Intrepid, and Jaunty.  Does
this make sense?

The other possibility is to have a repo with ordinary branches for
upstream, patches, and Ubuntu versions.  But I actually like the
idea to "drag" changes in the upstream through all patches and
Ubuntu versions.

Or, one repository with three branches for Hardy etc, and in each a
loom with upstream, patches, and debian.

Probably I'm equally confused as confusing ... how would you do it?

Tschö,
Torsten.

                   Jabber ID: torsten.bronger at jabber.rwth-aachen.de
                                  or http://bronger-jmp.appspot.com