bzr 1.18rc1 source frozen

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Mon Aug 10 09:25:51 BST 2009

Martin Pool wrote:
> 2009/8/10 Andrew Cowie <andrew at operationaldynamics.com>:
>
>> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 17:53 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
>>
>> The source for bzr 1.18rc1 has now been frozen. ...
>> As we discussed in the six-month-release thread, we'll hold off on the
>> public announcement to give people time to make binary packages.
>>
>> Don't you mean "1.18 is released, but we won't tell anyone until the
>> packages exist"?
>>

> That's what I meant.  Did you think I should have said it differently.
>

>> (I'm sorta surprised to hear you saying it about an RC is
>> all)
>>

> I'm open to suggestions, especially from Windows & other
> binary-oriented users and developers, on whether we should do this for
> rcs or not.  My thinking was: we want RC testing on Windows; if we
> don't have an installer they'll probably ignore the announcement and
> not test it; therefore we should do it for RCs too.  I agree it does
> feel a bit like a rehearsal for the rehearsal.

I'm only a user, not a bzr developer nor a plugin developer, but my 2
pence worth is that the rc releases should be announced as soon as they
are available because:

1) you want testing
2) plugin developers may use the rc1 announcement as a trigger to check
if their
plugin still work with this rc or needs adapting for the new release.
3) bleeding edge users should know that plugins won't yet necessarily
work with the new
release candidate.
4) users of official releases will be thus warned that a new release is
on the way within a week or so.

You can always say in the announcement that rc releases may be running
ahead of the plugins.