[REGRESSION] bzr 1.17 does not use _knit_load_data compiled extension

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Jul 30 03:51:17 BST 2009

2009/7/30 John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com>:

>> Hm, actually not because you may already be in Python's sky-is-falling
>> finalization state where you can't load new code?
>>

> So my idea was to do it at the end of main() or run_bzr().

That would be ok.

> I would be fine with a mutter() at the time of action, and then a final
> note later? I think we won't load all possible extensions anyway for all
> commands. Perhaps just a:
>
>  Some extensions failed to load, see ~/.bzr.log for more details.
>
> As a single warning right at the beginning of run_bzr(), and then
> mutters to the log file for everything that failed. It is quite unlikely
> that we would not load at least one extension (_chunks_to_lines is from
> osutils, and is thus loaded very early.)

I think you can't do the user-visible warning only at the start of
run_bzr.  It's true some extensions will be loaded before that and
therefore if there are no extensions at all this will trip.  However,
it's also possible, as in this bug, that just some of them will be
missing or fail to load.

Anyhow I'll keep poking at the patch and we can discuss it there.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>