Home directory version

J Lorieau digitalderbs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 15:54:31 BST 2009

Hello,

I've just started looking at bazaar for version of my directories in my home
directory, and I'd like some advice on the best usage pattern and
automation. At this time, I would be the only user, but in the future, other
users might want access to subdirectories, where other directories would be
off-limits to them.

I have a home linux server (home), a Mac OS X laptop (laptop) and a work
desktop linux system (work). I've setup a repo and working copy on home for
a directory called Documents :

home> cd ~/Documents
home> bzr init

On my laptop, I keep a lightweight checkout (disk space) and at work a
regular checkout :

laptop>  bzr checkout --lightweight sftp://user@host/home/user/Documents/
Documents

work> bzr checkout sftp://user@host/home/user/Documents/ Documents

And, I'd like to update each of my systems daily (or more frequently) :

laptop> cd Documents
laptop> bzr update

and commit in a scripted or automated way (this version uses the automv
plugin):

laptop> cd Documents
laptop> bzr automv
laptop> bzr add
laptop> bzr commit -m "Periodic commit YYYYMMDD-hh:mm"

Preferrably, the above update and commit commands could be done in an
automated or scripted way whenever I'd like to read/write to the repository
-- ex : turn on or shut off a laptop or work system.

Later, I might want to collaborate with colleagues on a paper I'm writing in
Documents so that they can make their own edits. (i.e. give them permission
to checkout a subdirectory of Documents for editing)

Is there a better way to setup a personal home directory versioning system
like this -- i.e. could I benefit from the distributed versioning features
of bazaar? Did I miss anything in my setup?

thanks very much for any advice.

cheers,

Justin