Availability of old releases?

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 17:19:42 BST 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Vincent Ladeuil
<v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr<v.ladeuil%2Blp at free.fr>

>    Maritza> Vincent has noted that some tests which run for the
>    Maritza> bzr sources do not run for teh bzr PPA.
>
> You beat me to report that one ! File a bug :) (Kidding, 1.16 is
> out of the corner anyway).

Nice try!  I'm not logging anything until 1.16 is in PPA.  All this with
1.15 is just warm up.  :)

> My best guess is that johnf didn't copy the 1.15.1 PPAs from the
> bzr-beta-ppa archive to the bzr-ppa one, but since he will
> shortly do so for 1.16... we can hardly blame him
>
> Instead, I think it points a hole in our release process: nobody
> checked that the PPA was updated (including me).

I'm not even saying there is any hole.  I don't expect perfect
synchronicity.  Just be able to find old stuff.

>    Maritza> So we can at least conclude that the difference in
>    Maritza> selftest behavior (reported elsewhere) is driven by
>    Maritza> a real change in bzr and not an artifact of the
>    Maritza> tests themselves changing.
>
> Nope, 1.15 is revno 4362, 1.15.1 is 4365, nothing
> earth-shattering there, The Truth Is Elsewhere I fear.

Ok.  That's a little scary.  Have the deps changed out from under us?  I'd
hope not for a point-release changeset.  I begin to see why you're
concerned.  As I say, 1.15.x is just a warm-up exercise so I am just
learning and not forming any strong opinions.

>    Maritza> Is there a complete archive of older tarballs?
>
> Err, we use a VCS here, all you need to do is branch bzr.dev to
> get a complete mirror and then create the needed branches from
> that.

Ok.  I deserved that.  That is the funniest thing I have "heard" all week.
:)

Lesson learned!

    $bzr tags | grep '1.15'
    bzr-1.15             4360.4.2
    bzr-1.15.1           4360.7.2
    bzr-1.15rc1          4360.3.1

[  Random thought: I think I got out of the habit of looking for tags
becasue at one point (now fixed) qbzr did not display (or maybe it was
search?) for tags.  I've been forcing myself to live in GUI's a lot lately
so that I undertsand what my team can expect.  ]

But https://launchpad.net/bzr/+download have a bit more releases
> than http://bazaar-vcs.org/Download.

Right.  Checked both.

>    Maritza> Or PPA's?
>
> No. PPAs keep only one versiob by package, known bug, that's why
> we have several PPAs.

I did not know that.  Thanks for the info.  Since synaptic always reports
"latest" available and has a "force version" option, I assumed (mistake!)
that the PPA's held multiple releases.  I guess those options exist in
synaptic to resolve packages which are offered by multiple PPA's.  Thanks
for clearing that up for me.  I had no idea.

-M