Availability of old releases?

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Sat Jun 20 16:35:24 BST 2009

    Maritza> I've been trying to get the test suite to run as
    Maritza> reported in other posts to this mailing list.

    Maritza> Along the way I have found an obstacle which may be of more general
    Maritza> interest.

    Maritza> Vincent has noted that some tests which run for the
    Maritza> bzr sources do not run for teh bzr PPA.

You beat me to report that one ! File a bug :) (Kidding, 1.16 is
out of the corner anyway).

My best guess is that johnf didn't copy the 1.15.1 PPAs from the
bzr-beta-ppa archive to the bzr-ppa one, but since he will
shortly do so for 1.16... we can hardly blame him

Instead, I think it points a hole in our release process: nobody
checked that the PPA was updated (including me).

    Maritza> I want to do a similar test.  But I cannot -- because of version skew
    Maritza> between PPA and tarballs.

    Maritza> Let's look at just the 1.15 series (the latest for which PPA is available as
    Maritza> of right now).

    Maritza> The PPA has 1.15-1~1bazaar1~januty1 which gives

    Maritza> bzr version

    Maritza> Bazaar (bzr) 1.15
    Maritza>   Python interpreter: /usr/bin/python 2.6.2
    Maritza>   Python standard library: /usr/lib/python2.6
    Maritza>   bzrlib: /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/bzrlib
    Maritza>   Bazaar configuration: /home/martitza/.bazaar
    Maritza>   Bazaar log file: /home/martitza/.bzr.log

    Maritza> but there is no corresponding tarball available at
    Maritza> https://launchpad.net/bzr/+download (surprise!)

Bad one :-/

    Maritza> Instead what we find at
    Maritza> https://launchpad.net/bzr/+download is only the more
    Maritza> recent 1.15.1.tar.gz which gives

    Maritza> ./bzr-1.15.1 version

    Maritza> Bazaar (bzr) 1.15.1
    Maritza>   Python interpreter: /usr/bin/python 2.6.2
    Maritza>   Python standard library: /usr/lib/python2.6
    Maritza>   bzrlib: /home/martitza/Desktop/bzr-1.15.1/bzrlib
    Maritza>   Bazaar configuration: /home/martitza/.bazaar
    Maritza>   Bazaar log file: /home/martitza/.bzr.log

    Maritza> Notice the different point-release levels.

    Maritza> So I am should not be surprised to find that the
    Maritza> tests which *stall* for the PPA (1.15) actually
    Maritza> *run* (and pass) for the tarball (1.15.1).

Except the differences in the sources doesn't explain the
problem.

    Maritza> So right from the start comparisons of test results
    Maritza> are potentailly unsafe.  But let's push a little
    Maritza> farther.

    Maritza> Getting deltas between the two versions of bzrlib at least shows that the
    Maritza> actual tests I have reported on (elsewhere) have not changed:

    Maritza> test_http.py
    Maritza> test_read_bundle
    Maritza> test-transport_implementations.py

    Maritza> So we can at least conclude that the difference in
    Maritza> selftest behavior (reported elsewhere) is driven by
    Maritza> a real change in bzr and not an artifact of the
    Maritza> tests themselves changing.

Nope, 1.15 is revno 4362, 1.15.1 is 4365, nothing
earth-shattering there, The Truth Is Elsewhere I fear.

    Maritza> Beyond that, I can't say much.

    Maritza> Is there a complete archive of older tarballs?

Err, we use a VCS here, all you need to do is branch bzr.dev to
get a complete mirror and then create the needed branches from
that.

But https://launchpad.net/bzr/+download have a bit more releases
than http://bazaar-vcs.org/Download.

    Maritza> Or PPA's?

No. PPAs keep only one versiob by package, known bug, that's why
we have several PPAs.

   Vincent