selftest results for PPA 1.15-1 on x86_64

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Sat Jun 20 10:59:19 BST 2009

    Maritza> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 8:03 PM, John Arbash Meinel
    Maritza> <john at arbash-meinel.com>wrote:

    >> I have heard of random lockup/failures with pycurl, which
    >> is partially why I never have it installed... :)

Right, we can use many shoulders :-) I keep pycurl on mine.

    >> I realize it should work. But it seems like pycurl keep
    >> breaking itself (we haven't changed much with how we use
    >> it, and yet every time it updates it seems we have to go
    >> fix something.)

<shudders> I try to find the right balance between fixing pycurl
related bugs and getting rid of it, this is tricky, *IF* we were
about to drop support for python 2.4 *and* 2.5, things will be
different...

    Maritza> Thanks, John.  I have been poking around in the bug
    Maritza> reports on launchpad.  It seems that when an issue
    Maritza> arises with pycurl or ca-certificates the discussion
    Maritza> spirals into confusion pretty quickly.

Long story short: pycurl validates certificates, some people
relies on certificate validation. urllib doesn't validate
certificates (yet). Once certificate validation is implemented
for urllib (easy for 2.6), we can get rid of pycurl. For python
2.4 and 2.5 though, that will mean replacing the pycurl
dependency by a python-https[1] dependency.

    Maritza> I have been poking around my installation of pycurl,
    Maritza> libcurl and ca-certificates and have made zero
    Maritza> progress figuring out anything useful from a package
    Maritza> level.  I really don;t have time to dive in and
    Maritza> become an expert in any one of these packages right
    Maritza> now.  :(

The probability is very high (above 80%) that this new bug is
triggered by the test infrastructure and doesn't influence normal
bzr usage (that's why https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/383920
still haven't reached the top of my stack).

    Maritza> I figure if I can frame a clear report that is easy
    Maritza> to reproduce then maybe that's the best I can do for
    Maritza> now.

Thanks for working on it.

       Vincent

[1]: python-2.6 includes an https implementation which is
available as a separate package for python 2.4 and 2.5.