bzr 1.16 released!
jml at mumak.net
Thu Jun 18 12:59:30 BST 2009
Bazaar 1.16, codename "It's yesterday in California" is released!
This version of Bazaar contains the beta release of the new ``2a``
repository format, suitable for testing by fearless, advanced users.
This format or an updated version of it will become the default format
in Bazaar 2.0. Please read the NEWS entry before even thinking about
upgrading to the new format.
Also included are speedups for many operations on huge projects, a bug
fix for pushing stacked new stacked branches to smart servers and the
usual bevy of bug fixes and improvements.
The Bazaar team is happy to announce availability of a new release of
the bzr adaptive version control system. Bazaar is part of the GNU
Thanks to everyone who contributed patches, suggestions, and feedback.
Bazaar is now available for download from
http://bazaar-vcs.org/Download as a source tarball; packages for
various systems will be available soon.
Changes from 1.16rc1 to 1.16final
* Fix the nested tree flag check so that upgrade from development formats to
2a can work correctly.
(Jelmer Vernooij, #388727)
* Automatic format upgrades triggered by default stacking policies on a
1.16rc1 (or later) smart server work again.
(Andrew Bennetts, #388675)
* Display prompt on stderr (instead of stdout) when querying users so
that the output of commands can be safely redirected.
(Vincent Ladeuil, #376582)
* A new repository format ``2a`` has been added. This is a beta release
of the the brisbane-core (aka group-compress) project. This format now
suitable for wider testing by advanced users willing to deal with some
bugs. We would appreciate test reports, either positive or negative.
Format 2a is substantially smaller and faster for many operations on
many trees. This format or an updated version will become the default
in bzr 2.0.
This is a rich-root format, so this repository format can be used with
bzr-svn. Bazaar branches in previous non-rich-root formats can be
converted (including by merge, push and pull) to format 2a, but not vice
versa. We recommend upgrading previous development formats to 2a.
Upgrading to this format can take considerable time because it expands
and more concisely repacks the full history.
If you use stacked branches, you must upgrade the stacked branches
before the stacked-on branches. (See
* ``--development7-rich-root`` is a new dev format, similar to ``--dev6``
but using a Revision serializer using bencode rather than XML.
(Jelmer Vernooij, John Arbash Meinel)
* mail_client=claws now supports --body (and message body hooks). Also uses
configured from address. (Barry Warsaw)
* ``--development6-rich-root`` can now stack. (Modulo some smart-server
bugs with stacking and non default formats.)
(John Arbash Meinel, #373455)
* ``--development6-rich-root`` delays generating a delta index for the
first object inserted into a group. This has a beneficial impact on
``bzr commit`` since each committed texts goes to its own group. For
committing a 90MB file, it drops peak memory by about 200MB, and speeds
up commit from 7s => 4s. (John Arbash Meinel)
* Numerous operations are now faster for huge projects, i.e. those
with a large number of files and/or a large number of revisions,
particularly when the latest development format is used. These
operations (and improvements on OpenOffice.org) include:
* branch in a shared repository (2X faster)
* branch --no-tree (100X faster)
* diff (2X faster)
* tags (70X faster)
* Pyrex version of ``bencode`` support. This provides optimized support
for both encoding and decoding, and is now found at ``bzrlib.bencode``.
``bzrlib.utils.bencode`` is now deprecated.
(Alexander Belchenko, Jelmer Vernooij, John Arbash Meinel)
* Bazaar can now pass attachment files to the mutt email client.
(Edwin Grubbs, #384158)
* Better message in ``bzr add`` output suggesting using ``bzr ignored`` to
see which files can also be added. (Jason Spashett, #76616)
* ``bzr pull -r 123`` from a stacked branch on a smart server no longer fails.
Also, the ``Branch.revision_history()`` API now works in the same
situation. (Andrew Bennetts, #380314)
* ``bzr serve`` on Windows no longer displays a traceback simply because a
TCP client disconnected. (Andrew Bennetts)
* Clarify the rules for locking and fallback repositories. Fix bugs in how
``RemoteRepository`` was handling fallbacks along with the
``_real_repository``. (Andrew Bennetts, John Arbash Meinel, #375496)
* Fix a small bug with fetching revisions w/ ghosts into a new stacked
branch. Not often triggered, because it required ghosts to be part of
the fetched revisions, not in the stacked-on ancestry.
(John Arbash Meinel)
* Fix status and commit to work with content filtered trees, addressing
numerous bad bugs with line-ending support. (Ian Clatworthy, #362030)
* Fix problem of "directory not empty" when contending for a lock over
sftp. (Martin Pool, #340352)
* Fix rule handling so that eol is optional, not mandatory.
(Ian Clatworthy, #379370)
* Pushing a new stacked branch to a 1.15 smart server was broken due to a
bug in the ``BzrDirFormat.initialize_ex`` smart verb. This is fixed in
1.16, but required changes to the network protocol, so the
``BzrDirFormat.initialize_ex`` verb has been removed and replaced with a
corrected ``BzrDirFormat.initialize_ex_1.16`` verb. 1.15 clients will
still work with a 1.16 server as they will fallback to slower (and
(Jonathan Lange, Robert Collins, Andrew Bennetts, #385132)
* Reconcile can now deal with text revisions that originated in revisions
that are ghosts. (Jelmer Vernooij, #336749)
* Support cloning of branches with ghosts in the left hand side history.
(Jelmer Vernooij, #248540)
* The ''bzr diff'' now catches OSError from osutils.rmtree and logs a
helpful message to the trace file, unless the temp directory really was
removed (which would be very strange). Since the diff operation has
succeeded from the user's perspective, no output is written to stderr
or stdout. (Maritza Mendez, #363837)
* Translate errors received from a smart server in response to a
``BzrDirFormat.initialize`` or ``BzrDirFormat.initialize_ex`` request.
This was causing tracebacks even for mundane errors like
``PermissionDenied``. (Andrew Bennetts, #381329)
* Added directory structure and started translation of docs in Russian.
(Alexey Shtokalo, Alexander Iljin, Alexander Belchenko, Dmitry Vasiliev,
* Added osutils.parent_directories(). (Ian Clatworthy)
* ``bzrlib.progress.ProgressBar``, ``ChildProgress``, ``DotsProgressBar``,
``TTYProgressBar`` and ``child_progress`` are now deprecated; use
``ui_factory.nested_progress_bar`` instead. (Martin Pool)
* ``graph.StackedParentsProvider`` is now a public API, replacing
``graph._StackedParentsProvider``. The api is now considered stable and ready
for external users. (Gary van der Merwe)
* ``bzrlib.user_encoding`` is deprecated in favor of
``get_user_encoding``. (Alexander Belchenko)
* TreeTransformBase no longer assumes that limbo is provided via disk.
DiskTreeTransform now provides disk functionality. (Aaron Bentley)
* Remove ``weave.py`` script for accessing internals of old weave-format
repositories. (Martin Pool)
* The number of cores is now correctly detected on OSX. (John Szakmeister)
* The number of cores is also detected on Solaris and win32. (Vincent Ladeuil)
* The number of cores is also detected on FreeBSD. (Matthew Fuller)
More information about the bazaar