bzr with bzr+ssh noisy and output muddled.

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Jun 18 00:28:50 BST 2009

2009/6/18 Maritza Mendez <martitzam at gmail.com>:
> Martin,
>
> Thank you for your collaborative leadership.
>
> When I started using Unix 20 years ago (Hey!  I'm still younger than *some*
> of you!)  the first thing I remember learning is "simple tools that do one
> thing well."  The second thing I learned was "succeed silently."  I don't
> know if Unix community can claim these as original, but they're good
> principles.  And like all the best principles, there are exceptions.
>
> So I would like to see an option to tell bzr to essentially "keep quiet
> unless there is a problem" which would be accessible by (and hopefully
> honored by) all bzr commands.  Quiet does not have to be the default.  Being
> available (and documented) is enough.  This will make bzr script friendly.
>
> Finally, I would vote to keep the progres bar available even after
> transports are prefected.  There will be bugs, maybe not even caused by
> bzr.  Knowing right away what stage the failure occurred in could really
> speed up debugging.

There is a --quiet option, and there is
<https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/320035> asking that it
should also turn off the progress bar, as well as other messages.  (It
probably does not suppress every message that it should at present.)
I think at the moment getting the other aspects of progress display
right is more important.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>