bzr with bzr+ssh noisy and output muddled.

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Tue Jun 16 08:28:05 BST 2009

I have just upgraded from bzr 1.10 to 1.1.5.1 and now when I run bzr
status with a stacked branch where the parent is over a bzr+ssh
connection the command first prints a progress bar and then the desired
output over the top.

e.g. this is what I see:

 > bzr status
modified:            *] bzr+ssh <      2KB     4KB/s
|   *

trunk/src/file1

Not pretty at all :(((

How can I get the bzr+ssh code to shut up and not print the connection
progress bar?

It is not only bzr status that does this.

I do see that the progress is printed to STDERR, but STDERR is not
intended for such output. It is an abuse of basic UNIX principles to use
STDERR for non-error output. By using it for such "trivia" you risk
annoying many UNIX (power-)users.