Fix committer name ?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue May 26 09:29:51 BST 2009

Ian Clatworthy writes:

 > I'm thinking of something like:
 >
 >   bzr correct --committer foo --author bar --message "blah blah blah"
 >
 > We don't want to mutate the *original* data

That's in conflict with both Xavier's use-case and the command name
"correct".  Nonetheless it is probably a good starting point and may
be sufficient for Xavier, too.

I suggest calling this command "annotate" and reserving "correct" for
a hypothetical command that actually does change the original metadata
(it might also be usable for a hypothetical case where all copies of
some datum have to be removed, eg for privacy or copyright violation).

 > Would we want conflict resolution to be automagic or
 > user-controllable

I suspect that this may vary according to the field or even the
content.

 > (http://bazaar-vcs.org/DraftSpecs/MetafileManagement)?

I notice in that draft spec that you initially refer to a .bzrmeta
directory, but immediately switch to .bzr/meta.  Typo?

Also, I wonder if it might not be preferable for .bzr to contain one
unversioned directory, say "control", so that .bzr/control serves the
functions that .bzr does today.  Then everything else in .bzr would be
versioned metadata.  (I'm not sure what the coefficient on <wink> is
here; I realize that might require a lot of rewriting and would
confuse 3rd-party plugins, like totally.  But I wanted to throw it
out for consideration.)