Is it possible to delete a branch from repository?

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Tue May 19 03:56:55 BST 2009

Talden wrote on Sunday 17 May 2009:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM,  <"Olin Shivers
>
> <olin.bazaar.7ia at shivers.mail0.org>"@mongkok.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > I cannot figure out how to delete a branch in a bazaar repository --
> > that is, how to reclaim the storage in the top-level .bzr repository
> > that is not referenced by any existing branch under the repo.
> >
> > I've poked around on the net and checked the documentation and the FAQ
> > on the bazaar web page. No luck. Can it be done?
>
> I believe this has been referred to as Garbage Collection for the
> repository.  As far as I know there is no such feature.

The addition of a 'bzr garbage-collect' ('bzr gc') command has been
mentioned[1].  I would really like to see this.  The thread at [1] also
touches on the idea of automatically removing the obsolete packs after a
successful pack operation.
[1]
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.bazaar-ng.general/58003

> I'm not sure if there's a better way but I think you can achieve this
> with something like
> 1. Create new repo
> 2. branch each branch you want to keep from the existing repo into the new.
> 3. move the new repo into place to replace the old.

Of course, then your push branch, parent branch, and submit branch references
for each branch are lost.

Regards,
Colin