[RFC] upgrade ordering & UI

Martin Albisetti argentina at gmail.com
Thu May 14 13:29:01 BST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Ian Clatworthy
<ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net> wrote:
> Does that order sound right and should it always work? It seems to be
> working for 1.6 => 1.9 upgrading but it seems to fail for
> 1.6 => development6-rich-root upgrading. In the latter case, I'm getting
> an error (about an incompatible rich-root issue upgrading the stacked
> branch from memory). Is that an ordering issue or a separate bug do you
> think?

AFAIK, you need to upgrade stacked branches before the stacked-on.

> On the UI front, I have some things I'd like feedback on:
>
> 1. I'm planning to add a --clean option that will delete backup.bzr
>   for things that successfully upgraded. I think explicit is good here.
>   Does everyone agree? Right now, I do all the clean-up after all the
>   upgrades. Would progressive clean-up be better? I guess it is if
>   you interrupt things but it feels slightly less safe?

The problem with cleaning up afterwards is that you need at least
twice as much available disk space to upgrade.
That, at least, is always my main issue when upgrading all branches on
my server.

> 2. Robert has asked for an upgrade to dev6rr to be followed by a pack.
>   Should that be implicit or an option? It seems to me that we ought to
>   clean out obsolete_packs iff we pack as part of upgrade and --clean
>   is given as an option. All agree?

Yes please  :)

--
Martin