Better name for dpush wanted

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri May 1 02:46:37 BST 2009

I agree with Stephen that there are too many commands that do "list
files matching a predicate showing particular attributes", and we
should shrink them.  Patches or proposals for the new user
documentation are welcome as ever (not necessarily from sjt.)
Similarly, possibly for missing vs log/push/pull.

>> I fear the push to reduce the number of commands, intended to help lower
>> the learning effort required of novice users, will only hurt proficient
>> and expert bzr users.  What really matters to novices is being able to
>> create and evolve a meaningful mental model of how bzr's commands fit
>> together.
>
> And, for the record, my goal in raising the "one concept, one command"
> principle was *not* to go back and revisit all our commands and make
> bulk changes to them! The objective was to put forward a rule we could
> adopt (or otherwise) in answering the "Where do we want to be before we
> start making more incremental UI changes?" question.
>
> I strongly agree about the importance of getting the mental model right
> and going from there.

I agree too.

Anyhow, to come back to the particular problem in the subject of the
thread: I gave some reasons why it should be an option and on the 17th
April Jelmer seemed to agree with them.  "Don't proliferate commands
beyond necessity" is a good tendency but may not be clearly decisive
in any particular case.

For this one, I think we do have clear reasons to make it an option.
I might be wrong, and if people have new reasons why this should
remain a separate command let's hear them, but otherwise I think we
should change it.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>